Like most people, i was pretty disappointed to get Otamendi in the TOTS SBC but he has turned out to be the saving grace in my woeful defence! His tackling is spot on 99.9% of the time and his strength feels stronger than 89. He is deadly from corners (Even scored a hattrick) and will save you games. Alongside Bailly his pace dosen't affect him to me a he tackles the opponent before he is beaten. His high attacking work rate can be a problem but again his tackling makes up for it. Certainly not as disappointed knowing how many games he has won me and turned out to bulk up my defence. Recommend to anyone at only 175k(PS4)
Defending(Tackling in particular)
Scoring from corners
Pace(based off other reviews, not a problem for me)
OMG this card is unbelievable. I have to admit that when I saw it had 71 pace I was a little bit discouraged, but I still decided to give him a try and I was surprised by how good this card is
- Defending: He is INSANE. Specially his interceptions are out of this world. He is always trying to get the ball back and 9/10 times he will do so
- Agility and balance: I think he is the most agile centerback I have ever tried in this fifa and I have tried pretty much anyone aside from prime icon cb´s.
- Passing: WAY better than what I was expecting, In fact, between this and his agility and balance I think you can also play him as a CDM. It might actually be better suited for his workrates
- Jumping: AMAZING. Despite being 6´0'' his jumping makes him beat pretty much anyone. Not always but several times.
- Heading: He has scored many headers
- And lastly pace. For my playstyle, 71 is more than enough considering I play him with a Shadow and also that thanks to his agility and balance he feels faster than what the stats suggest. But you might feel him a little bit slow.
- Pace: Only if you need disgustingly fast CB´s
- Height: but his jumping makes up for it
- Shooting: But it is not like you are going to shoot with him
- Sometimes he is a little too agressive and might leave a gap in defense.
- Maybe his workrates because of that agressiveness
So basically he has no BIG cons but if you start looking for them you will find a few minor ones
PACE: So lets get the most noticeable thing out of the way first, the pace on this card shows that he only has 69 acceleration and 72 sprint speed. Adding a Shadow looks like it takes it up to 84 acceleration and 82 sprint speed. First thing I did was slap a Shadow on him and in game he feels very quick and fast. I have also tried TOTS Vertonghen out and Otamendi with a shadow feels a lot faster. I think this has a lot to do with his agility being 83 and balance being 75. For a 6 ft. tall CB those stats really help him feel fast. Obviously his acceleration and sprint speed are not going to feel as fast as TOTS Azpil or something but I would say he is comparable to Bailey's speed maybe slightly slower.
DEFENDING: Obviously this guy is a beast, his positioning is very good, he is very aggressive and attacks the ball on his own occasionally (he usually wins it when he does this so I don't mind it) but if you don't like that you will have to switch to him and pull him back. He does come back on defense incredibly fast if he is pushed forward at all. He is incredible strong and reacts to the plays quickly (94 reactions). He is also 6 ft. with 96 jumping ability so he should win most aerial battles.
PASSING: 92 short passing 86 long passing have not had him make a passing mistake yet. Not much more I can say about that.
OVERALL: This guy is incredible for his price, he is as good or better than most ICON CB's I have used, no one I have used except Azpil has matched this guys lateral quickness.He is currently going for under 200k and may drop to 150k or below before the week is out. But I would expect him to climb back up once hes out of packs and people realize he is not as slow as the card says. If you can get him for anywhere around that price I would say he is definitely worth it.
Agility and Balance
Workrates (might be a con for some honestly I have not noticed this being an issue)
Pace (Minor con as he feels a lot faster than his card says he is feels way faster than TOTS Vertonghen)
So I packed this guy and wasn't too happy but thought "he fits in my team, might as well give him a go". By god he is a tank, he is always saving me ass when I make a mistake or when my SIF Ginter decides to be an idiot.
Defensively amazing: Will pretty much always make the challenge you need
Physical: Has amazing strength and jumping, so almost always out strengths the opposition or out jumps them.
Passing: I've had other defenders who when they've made a challenge they then pass the ball straight back to the other team, Otamendi has 92 short pass and 86 long pass so he always manages to clear his lines
Pace: without an anchor or shadow chem style, he is woefully slow
Shooting: He's a defender so who cares, although he did score a bicycle kick for me once
So i packed this guy from Guaranteed TOTS SBC. Firstly i was very happy because i thought that it is Aguero(Man City Argentina). I was very sad when i saw CB. I had no decent CB that time. Thats why i put him to my squad. This guy was totally amazing.
1) Defending ( Everything was very good)
2) His Jumping is something else. He is better than Ronaldo and Ramos in jumping
3)Heading accuracy (Scored some important goals for me)
4)Good shooting for CB
2)His height(But with his jumping he wins almost every header)