I've been buying, selling, and trying out a number of icon mid-fielders as well as CBs who can move up to play CDM in games (88/90 Petit, 88 Keane, 88 Matthaus, 88 Veron, 90 Rijkaard, & 88 Moore) for the past 2 weeks. And 88 Petit has been definitely my favorite thus far. I really really enjoyed using 88 Keane, but Petit was on another level. I immensely enjoyed playing the prime version of Petit in FIFA 18, and he was my starting CM till the very end of the title - this one feels exactly the same.
His H/H work rate with 91 stamina has been providing me with a CM of unbelievable field coverage in the game. His well-rounded stats have allowed him to assist, score, and defend exceptionally well in a consistent manner throughout 10+ games that I've used him. Aside from his 3 star weak foot, which honestly is not noticeable, there was seriously no aspect of his game that was lacking. I truly feel like this is a card you can use till the end of FIFA 19 and a CM that you can build your team around in any formation.
Compared to 90 Petit, 88 Petit felt pretty much the same, perhaps due to only minor stat differences (-1s mostly). There really is no need to pay extra 200k-300k more to buy 90 Petit over 88 Petit. I highly recommend anyone who has enough coins to try him out. You will be amazed of how big of an impact he makes to your games.
- Work rate - he's pretty much everywhere till the last minute of your games, and he's probably one of the few that can truly live up to this work rate with high stamina.
- Interception - he's as good as any CDM/CB at intercepting the ball & breaking up your opponents' fast-breaks.
- Strength - you can expect him to out muscle anyone with his 92 aggression + 87 strength + 6'1" frame
- Pass - very accurate and reliable
- Long shots - he's the guy you can long shots with when your opponent crowds the box and makes it hard for you to pass the ball into the box
- Pace - w/ Catalyst, he felt very rapid in games
- 3* weak foot - although i haven't really noticed this, it would have been better if he had 4* weak foot, which could have allowed me to play him as a RCM if I were to play another left-footed CM with 2* weak foot (e.g. Dembele)
- Jumping - again, this was not really an issue, just something I noticed only when you compare him to the likes of 90 Rijkaard (this was the only aspect Rijkaard outperformed 88 Petit clearly). He almost always won his aerial battles, but they weren't as easily won as Rijkaard's (Rijkaard just jumps over everyone).