A true genius. Messi will certainly be a game changer if you shell out the coin.
His acceleration, dribbling, long shots and passing mean he is best suited to play in a CAM role - the best set-up I’ve used is a 4-4-2, with CR7 as LS “Get In Behind”, and Messi as RS playing as a false 9.
What he lacks compared to Cristiano is sheer power and aerial ability; but what he adds in the upper midfield is smoothness on the ball, and the ability to unlock defenses with excellent through balls. Not to mention his long shots which are impeccable.
He changes the game in a more subtle way than players like Cristiano (powerful, pure goal scorers) and Neymar (flair, technical dribblers). Instead of relying on power and skill moves, you’ll be able to simply run past defenders using nothing more than the occasional Cruyff turn or fake shot, and do much more than just finish the opportunity yourself or toss in a long shot with crossed fingers. His passing and dribbling abilities accentuate the strengths of his teammates - he can put a pacy winger on to goal, make quick 1-2s with a second striker in the box, or just do the aforementioned and put it in effortlessly himself.
As close to a perfect player that you will find. If you have the coins, do it.
- Dribbling is as precise and incredible as always. No skill moves needed to leave 3-4 defenders with broken ankles
- Finessed long shots deadly
- Close-range finishing is skilful and reliable, especially finessed ground shots and chips
- Passing is phenomenal - he can make quick touches, and most importantly he can put a ball to the feet of any player running through on goal 9 times out of 10. I recommend running him through the middle and pairing him with a pacy left-wing.
- Acceleration top-notch. Combined with his dribbling, this makes him almost untouchable in the final third
- Strength not exactly like in real-life: he gets pushed off in situations you wouldn’t expect
- Pace is not as blistering as in previous FIFAs, his acceleration is still excellent but I wish he could still break through with a higher sprint speed
- You’ll lose physical presence and aerial ability in your midfield if you’re slotting him at CAM or ST @ False-9
- Stamina; a very slight issue and totally use-case dependent.