If you are looking for a great CAM this is your man. His passing and set pieces are unbelievable, his ball control is amazing and the ability to create chances is fantastic. I tried this card with sniper and deadeye due to his low base finishing. Both looked and felt good in game but deadeye was a bit better for me. He is always in the right position, his attacking runs are really good and his stamina lasts for 90+ mins. He is not the quickest player in fifa but with 86 dribbling, 86 agility, 88 strength and 92 ball control you can make some defenders cry.
WF and Skills 4 Stars
I would prefer a little bit more aggression
Well, this was the second time I got Rui Costa via SBC, and if I get the chance I will do it again in Fifa 20, just the perfect CAM.
Although you have to spend a few hundred coins and maybe some untradable players in order to complete the SBC, Rui Costa is absolutely worth it to me:
- Brilliant stamina (believe me, the way I play, I really need a CAM that doesn't go "red" within the 90 minutes);
- Unbelievable ball control (I was using Dybala before, there's just no comparison)
- Long shots (Whatever doesn't go in, scares the Goalkeeper)
- Strength (He can take on an adventurous CB or a muscled CDM, great jump too)
- (this one is personal) When he scores you can see banners with his picture jumping up and down in the stands, since I use Benfica's Badge and Kit, the whole thing reminds me of the awesome years I watched him play for my club. (I bet this would also work for Milan and Fiorentina fans).
For me he works perfectly in a system with 4 high-pace players in the wing (I have Sandro, Insigne/D.Costa, Cancelo and Callejon/Cuadrado). Truly a game changer in midfield for me.
- Dribbling/Ball Control
- Passing (all types of pass)
- Long Shot
- You can try him for 20 matches for less than 10k (do put a Deadeye chem, it trully makes the difference)
- Expensive (well, it's an Icon)
- Needs a Deadeye to fully work as the perfect CAM, if you like 90+ Pace players, he may not be your guy (he's fast enough for me)
- I don't see him playing at any other position (not a defensive player at all, despite workrate and decent interceptions)
I honestly was hesitant to do his SBC. I saw his card and thought it was decent, but I didn't exactly like his card on World Cup Mode last FIFA. I watched a few reviews on him then I decided to do his SBC. It was totally worth it. I have played 15 games with him using a Sniper chem style and in those games he has scored 18 goals and 6 assists. For me he controls the whole attack and the tempo of the game. I really have enjoyed him in there games and do not regret doing the SBC. If there was a player it could compare him to it would be Dybala because of the way the play, but Costa is stronger and has slightly lower dribbling.
- Pace - can beat defenders with ease
- Passing - even thought he doesn't have many assists for me he is the one creating the chances
- Physical - he has decent stamina and good strength so he is able to shrug off defenders
- Shooting - I used a sniper chem style and it really improved his shooting because his finishing went up to 90. His long shots are also deadly
- Agility and balance - I only played one game without a chem style on him and you could tell that is movement was odd, so I added the sniper chem style and he felt much more fluid while dribbling
So after playing with Rui Costa in my squad for over fifty games, i guess its time to give my opinion about this card. I decided to do SBC and get my first icon of 19, so he is obviously my best CAM i used so far and i had some solid players such as KDB and Eriksen before.
So let's start with shooting cause it looks like biggest concern for this card and in some way it is, it's nowhere bad it's just most likely his worst stat after defending. I had hard time scoring from long range, but Costa scored multiple goals for me from 20 meters range, and he was lethal inside the box with Deadeye chemistry. He was great for me in free kicks and penalties also, so he can offer goals from multiple occasions. If you expect to bang 30 meter finesse shots with him regularly, you should probably avoid this card then.
His passing is amazing, i had some great passers as i mentioned above such as KDB, Modric etc but nobody is close to RC, with deadeye chem it just feels so smooth and i never have to worry will the ball go somewhere where i didn't want it to go, you simply know its your mistake if you miss a pass.
His pace is more than fine for his position, his ball control is great so if you are ahead of enemy defender, combined with solid physical stats most of defenders will have hard time catching him. And defending, obviously his worst stat is not great, but combined with his pace i was able to cut many passes on opponent's side of pitch so he can do damage indeed and afterwards send a pass that can give you a easy goal. Great dribbling stats, with 4* skill moves he can do almost every move you want him to do and he does it great.
What i like most about Rui Costa is his workload, he always does a great positioning on the field, no matter if it's in attacking or defending, which is crucial for CAM in my case. His forward runs are great and he is always somehow in the right position to score a goal or give a great pass that will lead to a goal.
- Just amazing passing
- Solid shooting from 20 meters or less, goes in 9/10 times
- Solid pace, combined with his ball control and PHY makes Rui Costa lethal in attack
- Great positioning on the field in both attacking and defending
- Shooting from 25meters or more away from the goal had little success
- He can cut some passes but besides that he is not great in defending
- Without chem style his finishing is not good enough
Fratly I had Rui Costa in FUT17, and really enjoyed using him.
This year he's a class above, with passing so tricky he finds the target continuously.
Shooting could use a boost, so I'd use a deadeye.
Vry enjoyable and never lets me down.
Just okshooting, better with a deadeye.