Full disclosure, I appreciate his skill on the pitch, but would not classify myself a fan of the man IRL based on all of his antics off the pitch.
That being said, after a few rough goes with the base Icon Upgrade SBC (I got Overmars who was at best a super sub, followed by baby Keane, whom I'd already selected as a prime in the Icon Swaps), I dropped the aforementioned useless baby Keane into this SBC as a sacrifice and came out with a GOD (or at least the hand of one) in Baby Maradona.
So I slapped a Marksman Chem style on him and threw him into the squad (in game I play him left CAM with CR7 at Striker, Mbappe at middle CAM and IF KDB on the right).
Maradona dances on the pitch. Is easily one of the slickest dribblers in the game He's a different kind of beast, having played with Neymar, Pirlo, Mbappe , CR7 and even Messi, I haven't played with anybody as fun to dribble and hold the ball with as him. It took me a few matches to get a feel for him, but playing him as a wide CAM on the left of a 4-2-3-1 cutting in to CR7 and MBappe in the middle has been a winning formula.
In the recent score with an Argentine player in 4 rival wins objective - he banged them out in 4 straight (including 3 matches off the bench in a weaker EPL squad for other objectives).
Whether on the wing or in the middle of the pitch a few things really stood out with him on the ball:
- Although strength is not the forte of this card, he is deceptively hard to dispossess since he bounces off defenders with the ball still glued to his boots.
- With close ball contact, he is probably one of the best cards to dribble through a crowd (having him cut in off the wing has helped to open up room for other attackers to finish when he can't.
- When used correctly (ie. not using the sprint button all the time), his stamina is more than sufficient to play a full 90 (and even extra time if needed).
- While his 3 star right boot is sub-optimal, he bangs home anything he hits with his left.
- He's one of the most fun players I've used this year and I love embarrassing opponents as he cuts through their squad like butter.
Truthfully, in the Meta for 20 so far, he's been one of the best players to use and has really shown to be an overall god in the game, and not just having the hand of one.
- PACE - distances himself from even the speediest defenders
- Dribbling - a god on the ball, keeps the ball close to his foot and weaves throw a crowd
- Ball retention - he has the sticky and comes out of so many tackles still holding on to the ball and now past the defender.
- Creativity and uniqueness - seeing his bouncing mop and creative cuts and dribbling as he dances on the pitch makes him super fun to play with. Even in sweaty Rivals or Champs matches, he makes the game fun.
- Shooting - and in reality his weak foot. While not unusable at 3 stars, but sometimes forces you an extra touch to put the ball on his left foot and loses the shooting window
- Strength - while he keeps the ball more than anybody should through tackles, he does get bullied out of position a lot of the time.
- Value for the money - if you're lucky enough to score him like I said from an Icon SBC he's good value, but at close to 2 Mil in coins, you can find several other strong dibblers to give you better bang for your buck.