He is the best keeper I used so far the only keeper that comes close is De Gea. The saves with feet trait is definitely the best trait for goalkeepers. That is the reason Pope is so meta because he has the saves with feet trait. His positioning and reflexing saves me games and keeps me from losing my mind. He his incredibly linkable from the likes of Klosterman, Diego Carlos, Eder Militao ect. Fearless coming out of his line. No other 87+ rated keeper has the saves with feet trait except Ter Stegen. No reason to buy a Icon keeper except links. No other Icons have the saves with feet trait.
- Price compared to Icons
- Best keeper in the game
- Price is a bit much compared to Pope. But he still is well worth buying if you got the coins
- Distribution when it comes to throwing. Guys like De Gea and Neuer throw the ball miles because of GK long throw
- Height is not a big problem when it comes to savable and low shots but top bin finesses can every so often go in. Pope is 6'7 which is 5 inches taller than Ter Stegen. But the difference with Pope and Ter Stegen is the stat difference.
Reference, div 3, gold 3/2.
I've had my fair share of keepers until I settled on Ter Stegen. And he's hands down the best non-icon (excluding Alisson) that I or my friends have used. I got disillusioned when I had 3 games in a row with him saving next to nothing during weekend league so I decided to give Courtois a go, and that was a total disaster. Ter's performances after switching back is what prompted me to write this review.
There are a few good keepers in Fifa 21, that mostly save what you expect them to save... then there are game winners that end the match with 10+ saves against absolute beasts you expected to lose to. Ter Stegen is the latter. Don't get me wrong, this is Fifa 21, so he will be scored! But he saves sure goals more often than most keepers (the only I can compare are Alisson, Pope and rarely Oblak).
The only reason he doesn't get 5 stars from me is his height, and on occasion his throwing... but I'll explain in detail below.
- He's usually covering just where you need him to be
- Saves with feet trait, absolute OP
- He's surprisingly good with one on one situations even when he isn't saving with his feet, you'll still be scored quite often, but it's less often than most other keepers
- He pulls off the occasional super save. If he gets two under his belt during the same match, he seems to save almost everything else from that point on
- If you use forward wingers (which I don't) then his kicking should get you a fair share of goals from counters
- He's surprisingly good when he rushes out on his own during corners.
- Penalties: he will not save any well placed penalty unless you over commit (i.e. taking a step before diving)... never had this problem with Courtois and other keepers from 6'4+
- Throwing: it's okay when not under pressure and sometimes get's far. But otherwise it's prone to being intercepted and seems very weak most times (his kicking might make up for some of it if you've got the right receiver, but this reduces your distribution options)
- He'd rarely pull off a super save from a long shot. Of course I'm limiting this to only well placed long shots.