Before this reveiw I want to let you guys know that this is my first ever futbin reveiw and my english is not the best. Now lets start. He is sooo good. Have played him in 4231 as striker whit insigne behind him. And o my what a card. Finishing, long shoots (especielly finneses), r1 dribling and pace. This card has everything that a starter team needs. The only smal con whit this card is when facing super pacy defenders due to his sprint speed but then you should just r1 dribble for a bit and get thru on goal.
stamina (but not that bad)
sprint speed some times
What can I say? I give harsh reviews to players but this guy could do anything attacking wise. When you get around the box with this man, the defenders might aswell let him score. When people say "it feels like the ball is glued to his feet" for Mertens it feels like the ball is cemented to his feet. RB dribbling around defenders is unreal and his quick agility makes his movement unplayable. he is unbelievably clinical and a great passer. If this card is not scoring or assisting for you then you can count yourself as a bad player because he can put your team on his back. This is by far the best card I have used this fifa, beating players like Hazard, Dembele, Ben Yedder, Rule breaker Bellarabi. Should you buy him? YES YES YES, by far the best player I have used.
So much more pros
Dries Mertens, what a player he is. I use him as a CAM in a 4-2-3-1 and he has been making runs and scoring them goals. But, if you really want a playmaker and longshotter like Kevin de Bruyne, Mertens isn’t the right player. You wanna use mertens to make them runs behind the striker to finesse it bottom corner or top bins. He does drop back a lot to pick up the ball and play it around which makes it really nice to give the ball to him. With mertens you will also be able to turn real quick to get away from defenders/cdm’s. And just slide it into the striker or the winger to continue the attack.
- Shooting, especially with his right. Sometimes he tends to miss with his left but not a lot.
- Dropping back from the CAM position to get the ball.
- Playmaking is decent enough.
- Workrates, High/Low
- In like 30 games I haven't really had the chance to try his longshots so I dont know tbh.
- A bit small against defenders, but if you use the fast fake-shot he tends to just swerve through defenders and get in front of goal.
- Headers, just because he is small.
- His stamina, after 75min he goes into the orange bar. This is just because he is in the CAM position. Im sure he will be fine at striker.
Today I will review Dries Mertens. I used him as CAM in 4231, and with engine chemistry style.
Decent 86 pace, if you will use him as CAM you can give him a chem style which will boost it.
Really good shooting, finishing too.
Very good dribbling, agility is just insane!
Biggest con is physical, sometimes it's terrible.
Overall, for just 40k you are getting awesome player.
Give him a try!
I'll start by saying that Dries Mertens is by no means as good as previous years, I was insanely surprised to see a card with such good stats at such a low price, but this years meta provides the answer. This year Mertens sits in somewhat of an awkward position, gone is the super technical dribbling meta where agility and balance made Mertens an absolute king. This years meta means Mertens cannot play striker, he is pushed of the ball easily and isn't fast enough to pull away from your pacey Joe Gomez, Klostermann, Tomori, etc. Mertens gets stuck behind defenders on through ball runs, pushed off the ball if he tries to dribble around, and his shooting isn't super convincing. I found Mertens is only effective in a multi CAM system where he can flow into space and take quick shots before defenders can close the gap he makes. At his price he's worth a try, he certainly still is a quality player, but don't expect to see him in many teams a month from now.
- Pace - Mertens is fast and he will get the job done against slower defenders
- Shooting - can score goals if he's given space
- Dribbling - 94 agility and 92 balance is still fantastic if you commit to slow buildup and technical dribbling
- Pace - Mertens isn't fast enough to beat fast Cb's or any fullbacks, if he gets in behind, defenders close the gap and make light work of pushing him off the ball
- Physical - Anyone can push him off the ball
- Height - can't win a header meaning at striker he stops you from using an OP path to scoring via headers
- Passing - isn't good enough to remain a viable CAM for very long