Ousmane Dembele is a LEGEND of FIFA 20. It's hard to think of a team that didn't have his 84 card in it at some point this year. His pace and silky smooth dribbling, combined with his 5 star, 5 star made him a weapon for months at the start of the game.
As someone who loved his gold card, I was excited to see that he won the battle over Allan Saint-Maximin for the latest OP French player. Then, I checked out his SBC, and WHOA, was I surprised at the cost. I knew he would be expensive, but I wasn't thinking he would require around a million coins of value to add to my club. After my initial shock wore off, I decided to start the grind for him and get him unlocked. I can't take any players or FIFA Coins into FIFA 21, so I may as well submit anything and everything to get this card.
After doing all of that, getting him unlocked, and testing him out in 7 Weekend League matches, I can say the best way to sum up Dembele is amazing, BUT not perfect. He does everything you would expect him to do really well, but I would say he is very much a luxury item and not a necessity. If you are someone with a top tier team looking for just a little bit more from someone, then Dembele is your man. If you are someone with multiple gaps in your team, then the value would be better spent on other options.
In the 7 Weekend League matches I played, Dembele had 10 Goals and 5 Assists playing as my central CAM in a 4-2-3-1 with 94 Franck Ribery as the Striker. I used a Deadeye chem style on Dembele to nearly max out the main shooting stats.
DRIBBLING - Dembele is everything you can hope for in a speedy dribbler. The ball stays close to him, and he is able to utilize his 5 star skill moves at will. There are times he is nudged off of the ball a little too easily, but overall his dribbling is top notch.
ATTACKING - One of his biggest strengths was making runs off of the ball. I would bring my Striker outside of the box drawing a CB with him, and Dembele would make nice runs past my Striker into the box which created easy scoring chances.
FINISHING - The finishing for Dembele was a bit inconsistent. There were games where he was beyond dominant and buried every chance from every angle in the box, but there were also matches where he would shoot directly at the keeper. This was a bit frustrating from a card that is approximately a million coins of value. The biggest thing I can say about his finishing overall though is that he scored a goal in all 7 Weekend League matches. So, even with the bit of frustration, he did find a way to consistently score, and didn't disappear in matches. His 5 Star Weak Foot feels accurate, and his shot does really seem to have the 99 Shot Power when boosted. There were 2 occasions in the 7 matches where I did want to shoot with Dembele's right foot, but he made a weird animation to shoot with his left foot instead which cost a scoring chance.
PASSING - Dembele's passing is top notch. He was able to set up chances for others when they were available.
PACE - The 99 Acceleration and 98 Sprint Speed make Dembele feel rapid on the ball. For reference, he feels more like Neymar on the ball than Messi. Off the ball, Dembele seems to get to his area ahead of defenders.
DEFENDING - He puts in his work, but don't expect a lot
PHYSICAL - Just a hint weak, but generally not an issue. Doing scoop turns past defenders, he is able to slide right by.
STAMINA - This is my biggest frustration with the card. Playing Dembele as a central CAM in a 4-2-3-1, he is tired by the 70th minute and asking for a sub. There would be ways to mitigate this by changing instructions or positions, but it's more that I am just slightly frustrated that it's even an issue on a card that is close to a million coins of value at this stage of the game. It would have been nice for EA to bump the stamina from 85 to 90 on this card just to make it a non-issue.
LINKS - Dembele has some amazing link options to fit current options in the game. Some of the best are:
- Summer Heat Objective 93 Ferland Mendy (strong link)
- Summer Heat SBC 94 Franck Ribery
- TOTS/TOTY Frenkie De Jong (strong link)
- Real Madrid backline (Ramos - Varane - Militao)
OVERALL - Dembele is an amazing addition to any team, however with his SBC price, I would only recommend him to top tier teams looking for a bit more.
- Attributes - 5 Star Weak Foot - 5 Star Skill Moves
- Dribbling - Speedy dribbler who keeps the ball close to him
- Pace - Very rapid on and off the ball
- Consistent - Scored in every match played, did not disappear in matches
- Attack Positioning - Makes very nice runs off of the ball and has a nice first touch
- Links - Nice links to some of the best options in the game right now
- Stamina - Playing as a central CAM in a 4-2-3-1 he is tired around the 70 minute mark. There are certainly ways to get around it, but it is just overall a bit frustrating that a card of that value is asking for a sub when you may need him the most
- Inconsistent Shooting - At times he will bury every chance he has from anywhere in the box, and at times he will shoot the ball directly at the keeper from an area that should be a guaranteed goal.
- Animations - On two occasions in 7 matches, I have wanted him to shoot with his right foot, but Dembele will perform a weird animation in game so he can shoot with his left foot causing the chance to be missed.