This card changed fifa for me. I am an average player who used to get 17 wins every weekend no exception in the weekend league, and play in div 4. I completed rooney for around 150k as I had lots of untradeables and I haven't used a better card this year. He played all 30 games for me this weekend, 60 goals and 15 assists, playing up front with SBC alphonso davies in a 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, getting me up to 21 wins and gold 1 for the first time. With a marksman he can score from anywhere, most of the time not even needing to time the shot.
I thought stamina and work rates may be an issue, but he can easily last the full match on stay forward and 99 long shots with a marksman means work rates didnt matter. He is slightly small and a bit weak, but his WF may as well be 5* it feels that good and I'm not a skiller so his 3* skills didn't matter.
Honestly I've used most of the top players in drafts and this rooney was better than all of them.
- Unbelievable shooting
- Very good passing and dribbling
- Will track back in opposition half
- Always in the right place
- Won't last into extra time
Okay, so me and my mate are THE MOST CASUAL PLAYERS EVER, we play once a week, always together, and we're crap, so if you're looking for that 5 star skill move fut champs monster player review.... sorry. If you know how to do a roulette and a drag back or two, then enjoy...
We had already completed Rooney's MLS league SBC (we trade a lot with the app), so the fact that they released a much more usable flashback version of him with +20 pace was very annoying. The SBC was a bit expensive considering we did the Ibrahimovic SBC a few days earlier for almost half the price, but that allowed us to link them together in a frankly ridiculous 4-2-2-2 team, with Zola, Scholes, Keane and Jamés Milner supporting them.
The results were.... sensational. Rooney and Ibra annihilated opponents, we told him to stay up top and gave him a marksman, and he began wreaking havoc, aerial balls would be smashed in with Scissor kicks and laces, long shots from outside of the box, A HEEL FLICK VOLLEY INTO THE SIDE NETTING. Him and Ibra are telepathic, (and that's not because we play with two users in a game, they just made fantastic runs for each other even when we didn't control them), they just work so well together, Ibra as the target man, Rooney as the pacier finisher but still with decent enough strength to tussle for the ball.
Rooney's bad workrates didn't affect us, because once we told him to stay up he just moved into the right areas for us, and his passing meant we could easily bring our other players into the game with quick one touch passes and through balls. His agility is good enough, he feels quick on the ball but definitely not nippy like baby Zola (who feels like someone gave him cocaine flavoured weetabix for breakfast). His touch was first-rate, he never mis-controlled a ball and passes stick, his pace meant he was never lagging and once played through almost impossible to catch when combined with the strength.
And as for his shooting.... just wonderful. clean through it's a certainty. outside of the box, it's 95% going into the corners, volleys - he scores almost every chance he gets. Headers, we actually didn't get that many chances to use his head (why cross to him when Ibra's head is touching the stadium roof) but usually we held down LT and watched him do something sensational.
Defensively you can get involved with him and he can make a decent tackle, but we played him at CF for a game or two and his stamina and positioning meant you'd be dragging him forward from the CDM position every 2 minutes and he'd be struggling by the 70th minute.
His Dribbling is decent, he feels like he moves quite well and can create space for shots, with the marksman chemstyle his agility is 81 and he turns quick enough to get away from defenders.
Overall, this team and especially this card is the most fun we've had on fifa 19, if the SBC is still out as of the time of this review (think there's a few hours left) and you want to shout WAYNNNNNNEEE ROOONEY like the glory days, this card is worth every penny.
(Also we had 90 Van Nistelroy in that team and he just wasn't up to the standards of Ibra or Wazza... they vastly outperformed him. you're basically getting icon standard cards for half the price)
- Shooting - He just scores, and he will do so sensationally.
- Passing - he always finds the mark, and he helps to set the tempo for the whole team from the front. great through balls, quick balls, the lot.
- Pace - He doesn't feel like a monster but he is quick, and with all the weapons in his arsenal he'll trouble any defender that doesn't have 99 sprint speed and acceleration. If you want to get him up to that pace, chemstyles will do it, but we were happier to boost other areas.
- Movement - A surprise, but he's always getting free at back posts for volleys and square balls, running in behind, dragging defenders around. We scored a decent number of goals just from Wazza running in behind and a first time through ball, it felt a bit too easy at times.
- Versatility - I don't think he would work well as a CF, CAM or CM unless he's your go-to super sub in which case great. But for a starter, he just ends up too defensive if you start putting him in midfield (at least from the 2 games we played him at CF where he kept running back. If he was at CM I imagine he'd be playing in goal by half-time)
- Stamina - Why EA. This guy could run forever in his prime, I'm not sure if they flashed back to when he was injured or something, because this guy worked as hard as anyone in the premiership. BUT this is only a con if you ask him to defend, as a striker with stay-forward, perfect and lasted the whole 90 every time.
- Haircut - Never his strong point.
I’ve been waiting for flashback Rooney for quite a long time. He’s my favourite player ever so I was really looking forward to his flashback SBC. I’m kinda addicted to these SBCs. As United fan I really enjoy having the opportunity to relive some of the memories I had with these players (Rooney, Tevez, Chicha…) in earlier FIFAs when they were still good.
I was preparing my team for this card for quite a long time. I was sure he would be released as flashback card at some point, especially after Tevez and Zlatan. I did Zlatan so I could get that nice link and few weeks ago I bought prime Owen so I could play Rooney at full chem. What I´m trying to say here is that getting Wayne to my team was something really special to me. I even went through all his ratings in FIFA ever to estimate how good he could possibly be!
When this card finally got released, I was kinda disappointed. Even though this card looks incredible, I still expected some stats to be quite a bit higher. What really scared the s*** out of me was the stamina. I honestly don’t understand why would anyone do this to him. He’s the kind of player that in real life runs for 90 minutes without stopping but somehow he still gets 74 stamina ffs. From the excitement caused by finally seeing him in the SBC I quickly moved to being really concerned about him being actually worth that s*** load of coins this SBC cost me on PC (around 350k).
Now I played around 30 games with this card. The about 20 games I played him as CAM in 4-1-2-1-2 narrow with Ibra and Owen as strikers and De Jong and Tevez (I know it seems stupid to have Tevez playing CM, but hear me out here: He’s got great standing tackle and in combination with his 85 strength and 85 stamina he is an amazing tool to win the ball back In the midfield PLUS his forward runs and longshots are deadly!) as CMs.
For first few games it was really frustrating experience and I was doubting whether it was good idea to sell UCL Telles (who I loved probably the most out of all cards in this game) in order to get him. Even though I set him to stay forward, he always dropped deeper to a CM position and then, obviously, when I needed him to be in that CAM place to make the smooth transition to attack that is essential for this formation to work properly, he was nowhere to be found. It was quite hard, but eventually I learned how to work with him. After about ten games his stupid workrates weren’t an issue for me anymore and I finally started to enjoy him.
Recently I made a big change and I sold my prime Owen (the issue with Owen is, that he’s basically a Mertens-like player - that obviously means a lot of fun in this game, I genuinely love these players on this game, but for some reason I fail to stay with them for a longer period of time) and instead I brought in 89 Scholes and some other players to strengthen my defense. I really wanted to try Scholes in my midfield AND I wanted to see Rooney in the striker position.
Oh boy, I can’t say how much better the team immediately felt! Rooney is meant to be played in this position so PLEASE don’t waste your time and his talent trying to make it work with him at CAM. Suddenly he started to act how he’s supposed to. He doesn’t drop back at all and his forward runs are lethal. With Ibra next to him it is the best attacking experience I had on this FIFA. I swear! They both got amazing passing, strength, composure, finishing and pace and they just seem to be meant for each other.
Wayne is a great guy. Even though it may take a bit longer time to get used to him, I promise it is definitely worth it. His position is striker for sure. I actually find myself liking him even more than Ibra, who is basically god to me!
Hope this review helps you somehow. Sorry for being too long.
He’s fast. Like really fast. Even without pace-boosting chem style he’s able to run from defenders and in combination with his strength I find defenders really struggling getting him off the ball when running forward.
Immense. What can I say, he’s got it all. Even though his positioning and finishing is not as high as I would like it to be, he’s usually in the right place at the right time. Also his finesse long shots are incredible. 4* weak foot is really helpful.
Rooney’s passing feels good. Not as good as Frenkie’s or Scholes’, but it’s nice. With all his passing stats above 80 you can say he would be good.
Great but not all the time. His dribbling is really specific. When you pass him ball while moving, he’s incredibly good and it is really hard to get him off. That would be thanks to his 92 ball control and 89 stability. BUT don’t ever pass him when he’s in a static position, especially in the box. It’s OK when you do one touch pass or immediately shoot, but when you then try to dribble somewhere with him, you usually lose the ball. Thanks to his low agility he is quite stiff in these situations and it’s harder for him to get moving than it would be for Insigne or Hazard for example. Other than that his dribbling is great. His 99 composure is really sweet.
Does his job. Has got quite nice stats and combined with his strength he is capable of winning some balls back.
It’s like day and night. Strength and aggression are great and help him a lot. Stamina not so much. When you play him at CAM, he drains quite quickly. He can play full 90 mins, but you have to adjust your movement. At striker position however the stamina is perfectly fine and I’ve experienced no problem whatsoever.
Long shots (not only finesses)
4* weak foot
3* skill moves might be an issue for someone (not me though)
So I decided to write a review on him because he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love and I don't want people to have a quick glance and decide he's not worth it. Let me tell you, he is. I also did the Zlatan flashback and am using Rooney as a CAM for chemistry and it works wonders. In my 28 games he has 22 goals and 28 assists, insane! I highly recommend using the maestro chem style which allows him to have amazing dribbling and passing, he can pick off great passes (especially handy when you've got Zlatan) not to mention he can bang in goals from a great range. if you didn't get Zlatans flashback I recommend using anyone with a bit of physicality who can hold play up but also has good turn of pace as using Rooney as a 1-2 player is amazing and he is great at it. If played right you will love every minute of this card.
Shooting (Finesse and Power)
Some may find it hard to link him
When this card popped up i thought FINALLY a strong striker who can score goals that isn't a weird nationality in a dodgy league (sorry ibra)
Rooney does just that for me, he's strong and he scores goals for fun. 12 games 17 goals 12 assists.
Most of the comments / reviews on this player are massively mixed, he's either the worst card anybody's ever used or the best.
I have to admit he's on the best side for me. I have a fairly basic team bar crespo and rooney so it's not even the players around him making him better!
So lets go through the card. (Card is used with a Deadeye Chem style - doesn't need the pace)
- Pace - So the first thing I noticed about Rooney is that he's rapid. He takes a couple of seconds to get going but once he does he's gone. The 76 agility can sometimes affect the runs with the ball because he's a bit slow reacting but the 91 pace and accel he's off if you're running straight towards goal. He doesn't need a pace boost - using a hunter, hawk or catalyst is a waste on him.
- Dribbling - Suprisingly amazing at dribbling. Again the agility can be an issue but that tends to be only during a sprint - if you're only dribbling at jogging or walking speed than he'll nip through the tiniest gap without any struggle, assisted by his strength and aggression not many people can get the ball away from his feet. And best of all 99 composure. 10 men grabbing hold of him he'll still find the net.
- Shooting - The best thing about him. with a deadeye it bumps his shooting stats to the following: Positioning 99, Finishing 99, Shot Power 99, Long Shots 92, Volleys 92 and Penalties 95. He is on another planet. in and out of the box. I cannot stress enough that if you get into a shooting position with the option to pass for an easy goal, just shoot because it's guaranteed to go in!! he's an animal.
- Defending - he's got 60 defending but he's got 87 strength and 60 standing tackle - that's enough to get the job done. Seeing a lot of people using him at CM or CDM, does not work because of the stamina issue. At striker it's fine but CM or CDM don't bother.
- Passing - Deadeye turns him into Beckham. The end. HOWEVER, the short passing for some reason is wild and inaccurate even when boosted to 96.
- Physicality - The mixed section. 82 Jumping - good enough. 87 Strength on a 90+ Pace striker, THE DREAM. 90 aggression, combined with pace and strength, perfect. NOW the moment you've allllllll been waiting for. THE STAMINA. I'm not going to pretend it can become an issue because it can. anything other than striker he's going to have issues. 74 Stamina is enough to last 90 minutes if you're starting the game on 99-90 fitness but if you're anywhere under the 90 mark he's exhausted by the 75th/80th minute so he essentially becomes a deep seated CAM because he doesn't run fast enough, Leaves a MASSIVE gap up front which you absolutely don't want in the weekend league. For those using him in CAM or CM, I salute you because he runs box to box unless you set your tactics to tell him not to. It can be a problem without custom tactics because of the High Defence / Medium attack work rate.
All in all this is a positive review and he is far away the second best striker I've used (bar Crespo) but I'll be honest he takes some tinkering and getting used to because of the stamina and the work rates and not to mention the weirdly inaccurate short passing.
Probably my favourite flashback they've done so far.
My only issue was the Price - 300+ was very expensive for this SBC, luckily I had a lot of fodder I could use but if I didn't I wouldn't have had anywhere near enough coins for it.
Overall - 4/5
Strength and Aggression
Stamina (out of Striker position)
Work Rates (without instructions)
Was a pretty expensive SBC if you didn't have the cards (which I luckily did)
This review might sound a bit strange to most of you, but before I took this SBC, I wish someone would have pointed out what am about to write here even though this is way too soon to judge him. I really hope this do get published on time before the SBC runs out!
First thing that popped into my head when I saw Rooney was Flashback Ibra/Sturridge link. Second thing was, with these work rates and aggression, could he excel in the CM position or not?
I have only tried Rooney about 12 games or so throughout FUT19 sections, played him as a CM, CAM, & a ST, so here we go...
CM: He was amazing, fast, strong, agile, decent short passes, amazing through passes and vision, chasing the ball like a dog with an unmatched aggressiveness which was along with his work rates, fitted the CM/CDM position perfectly. Good standing tackle/sliding tackle even without the chem boost.
Unfortunately, he finished all his juice in the first half!! LOL! Like really as if I was playing with only 10 players! For CM I recommend he could be just another super-sub.
ST: with instructions to stay up front and a balanced game Rooney survived the whole 90 mins as I expected, and even though his strength helped out in holding the ball, and his aerial abilities were really surprising, it seemed like he weren't meant to be in that position. He seemed lost all the time, and it looked as if I gave him instructions to play as a false nine!
CAM: seems like the perfect position for him if you are playing with 2 strikers up front, his tracking back and ball chasing makes him a match made in heaven for the 41212 formation. When you have the ball, you have more attacking options in your squad to squeeze your opponent in his half, and on the counter, it feels as if the formation shifts automatically into 4222 or 442 ONLY because you have WAYNE ROONEY! In the counters he will just blaaaazzeee back to get the ball as if his life depended on it.
Unfortunately, his stamina also gets in the way!!!!
Conclusion: Its really confusing because this is a pre-mature review, but if I had read some of the points I have just pointed out, I frankly wouldn't have done that SBC!! He is an amazing player, and if he had better work rates or stamina he would have been really like THE old Wayne Rooney, but unfortunately, he is not!!
For the CDM/CM/CAM positions, he'll be just another expensive untradable super-sub, for ST position he could work just fine, we will see!
Dribbling...forgot to point out that he is a really good dribbler, he feels so easy and smooth having the ball with him
Short passes...for a midfielder, for a ST its ok